WARSHIFT FORUM - OFFICIAL COMMUNITY

[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
W.I.P. - Some fundamental changes for Alien faction
AdministratorDate: Sunday, 19.04.2015, 01:46 | Message # 1
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 5
I'm currently experimenting with NODE-based system for Alien units that will make their design more fresh and unique.
Why that is very important: Because each game has their main features that make them unique and memorable. I have node system, so I must implement it where it's possible.
Regarding to my vision of this, each alien unit has energy core. For different purposes energy cores are different by color:
Close fight-class units has red core.
Long ranged-class units has green core.
Artillery-class units has blue core.
All adjacent units can be linked together by energy beams that emitted from their energy cores.
Using energy beams alien units can exchange information, energy, possible to control or heal each other. Exist as a unified system.
I also have an alternative theory: energy cores is an more highly developed, non-material form of life, that manage more primitive forms of life. In fact, they took control of the Raydon race.
Currently that connections make only visual effect, but also can make some unexpected changes in the gameplay.
So, dear members, how do you think what bonuses alien army can get from this connections?
I'm now collect suggestions for new alien gameplay.

Here is fresh screenshots. I will also add video soon, because this effects looks much more cool when it animated.

Attachments: 6811859.jpg (171.2 Kb) · 1443864.jpg (257.4 Kb) · 8016655.jpg (286.0 Kb) · 5690220.jpg (194.1 Kb)

hralDate: Monday, 20.04.2015, 14:40 | Message # 2
Chief
Group: Funders
Awards: 2
Looks interesting,

Will human players be able to see the energy links between units ? 

I think it could end up a bit confusing, too much blinking and lighting on the screen, making it difficult to see what the situation is.

How come longranged units are not in the same group as artillery, aren't they both long-ranged ?

Bonus ideas :
Having all different color cores present at a certain quantity enables Raydon player to spawn a building without an energy node, if cores are no longer present, ie. Raydon units get killed or move away, the building is unpowered and thus inactive.

In situations where a group of Raydon units are attacked, melee units transfer their surplus power to ranged units, until the melee units enter close combat. Ranged units can in this way gain increased attack damage and range.
This forces human players to attack Raydon groups, not just sniping them from a distance. And for the overall strategy gives a reason why the human forces at some point will develop melee units. 

I like the idea of the Raydon's actually being controlled by an energy based lifeform, as the story deepens, maybe the problem for humanity is that they will eventually also be controlled by this energy lifeform, if they continue to use the energy nodes.

AdministratorDate: Wednesday, 06.05.2015, 22:13 | Message # 3
Site Administrator
Group: Administrators
Awards: 5
Quote hral ()
Will human players be able to see the energy links between units ?

Human players will be able to see the energy links between alien units only.

Quote hral ()
I think it could end up a bit confusing, too much blinking and lighting on the screen, making it difficult to see what the situation is.

It will not blink frequently, it's more like a slow energy flow. I think that's accentuate the difference between enemy and allies when looking from afar.

Thank you for your suggestion. This is one fresh idea from me:
A group of more than 10 linked units can create a one superunit. During this small units are destroyed, but give birth to one super-power unit.

• Page 1 of 1
Search:

© 2024 Nominia Ltd